ANST - Regalia/Insignia

Koch, KA Kimberly (4384) KochKA at gvl.esys.com
Mon Apr 5 10:35:41 PDT 1999

Greetings to the list,

> Madelina de Lindesaye asked:
>1. What materials are generally used for making the regalia/insignia?
>2. What are the dimensions of the medallions and pins?
(I believe these questions have already been answered....Darius' page is
an excellent resource for what different insignia look like)

>3. What (if any) is the difference between regalia and insignia?
I would say that regalia are the 'trappings' that come with a given
office, rank, or title (and are often passed on to the next holder of
that office, rank, or title), while insignia are the permanent symbols
of a particular award.  Maybe that sounds like a subtle difference, so
here are some examples:

The thrones, crowns, and assorted banners and boxes that come with the
office of being Crown are all 'regalia', as are similar items that come
with the honor of being a landed noble.  Those things are all passed on
to the next Crown, or landed noble.

The title of Queen's Champion comes with a rapier, cloak, and medallion
- those things are all 'regalia'.  They are passed on to the next
Queen's Champion.  Local groups often give similar items to their titled
Champions, Bards, Artisans, etc.

An Iris ribbon, a Sable Comet medallion, a Centurion's cloak, a Queen's
Glove or King's Gauntlet, etc. - those things are all 'insignia'.  The
bearers of these awards are forever entitled to wear them.

I really like Ritter Dieterich's idea about making period- and
persona-appropriate insignia.  As Crown, we *do* try our best to match
what insignia we have to the time-period of the recipients, so it's nice
to have a wide variety of styles of insignia to choose from.

>Which particular awards are most needed?  Sable Thistles?  Irises?
Michelle or Alys, please feel free to correct me, here.....
We could use more of the inkle woven awards - Irises, Stars, Centurions.
We have lots of the braided awards - Queen's Rapiers, Sable Falcons,
King's Archers, Golden Bridles.  We don't have any Centurion cloaks - we
usually rely on one of the Centurions to pass down a cloak, which has
worked pretty well so far (Centurions aren't given very often).  It
might be nice to have one or two, though, so that those Centurions who
pass theirs down can have new ones.  And it wouldn't hurt to have a few
more Cranes and Comets (we have tons of Thistles, in varying styles).

Isobel asked:
>BTW...has anyone made scrolls or insignia for the Crown's Favor, the
>non-armigerous artisan award?
As far as I know, there isn't insignia yet.  You could ask Francois, the
new Star Principal Herald, to be sure.  There *is* a scroll.

HRM Sara