ANST - Period Research....can you help?

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Mon Apr 5 07:13:08 PDT 1999

Jim Kotsonis wrote:
>         I have decided to try an early period personna (600-699), but I am without
> technical knowledge of that period.

And Bear answered with:

> I would recommend spending some time in Stefan's Florilegium at:
>
> http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html
>
> This is a very broad archive of information about all things SCA.  It may
> help you find the appropriate resources and narrow your questions to a scope
> more easily answered on a mailing list.

Thanks, Bear. Bear and others, are correct in saying that if we had
a more precise idea of which cultures you were interested in we might
be able to direct you better. My Florilegium is meant to be very broad
and cover a lot of the subjects of interest to the folks in the SCA,
both within the SCA and the medieval period.

For a start, you might want to glance through the CULTURES section which
has comments and referances about the people, food, clothing and society
of many different cultures of the SCA period. The included cultures are
by no means comprehensive. Also, when enough info has accumilated on
a particular cultures food that info usually gets put in a file in the
FOOD section. The same for clothing and the CLOTHING section.

I don't think the list would tolerate me listing all of the files in each
of the sections you might find applicable. So I will only mention which
sections you might look in for each of your questions below.

Also, I have set up an alternative site which will hold the newer files
in the Florilegium. The indexes in this site will point to the appropriate
files at either site, so this site should replace the old URL> The old
URL will work for a while longer but the index files there will cease to
be updated shortly.

The new Florilegium URL is:
http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html

Most of my files are not organised by period, so cl-Scotland-msg will
include some info from your time period as well as material up through
the 1600s. Although some such as picts-msg will be specifically of your
time period as te Picts as a seperate people disappeared after the time
period you mentioned.

> The kind of information I am looking
> for is:
> Religious thinking
RELIGION section

> Clothing
CLOTHING section

> Games
ENTERTAINMENT section

> Dwellings
DWELLINGS section

> Crafts
CRAFTS section
TEXTILE ARTS section
SCRIBAL ARTS section

> Modes of transportation
TRAVEL section
perhaps ANIMALS section

> Food
FOOD section
FOOD-BOOKS section
FOOD-SWEETS section

The complete filelist (21+ pages) is available in the IMPORTANT STUFF
section of the website or from me by email.

Hope this helps you and anyone else looking for similar info.

Lord Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net
BEVERAGES section