[Re: ANST - On-line Ansteorra : The Next Generation...]

Keith Hood hoodkl at netscape.net
Mon Apr 26 13:13:03 PDT 1999

I agree that the kingdom could use better Web support.  And if the majority of
the kingdom decides we should buy a server, fine by me.  For that matter, if
the people managing the Ansteorran web site would like some help with the work
load, I'll volunteer.  I know HTML and I used to teach system administration.

But, I think there are ways of improving Web situation that are a lot more
cost-effective than going through the hassle and expense of buying and
supporting our own server.  I know probably a lot of issues have already been
raised and solved to some peoples' satisfaction.  But I think there are some
issues that should still be addressed.  It has been my experience that lots of
times, people don't give enough consideration to the long-term costs,
especially those of supporting the equipment.  What about...

Covering possible loss--Will the server be uninsured, or will the kingdom
insure it to the level of its replacement cost against fire, flood, theft, or
other loss or damage?  If it's not covered, the kingdom loses its investment
if something happens.  Who at kingdom level will be responsible for
maintaining the insurance on the server?  And, how much will that insurance
cost, and how will that money be raised?

Security and location--If the kingdom puts a server in a private residence,
then it's at greater risk of theft or fire damage than it would be at a
commercial provider's installation (and that would most likely be reflected in
the cost of insurance).  If it's put somewhere else, where will that be?  And
in any case, how will the kingdom secure it?  Also, if it's put in somebody's
residence and that person has to move, that's a hassle for the house owner and
a concern for the kingdom.  How will the transition be made without
interrupting Web service?

After considering location, what about...
Access--If the amount of traffic on the kingdom web site is high enough to
justify buying a server, how could we handle that traffic at a non-commercial
site?  How many private residences are equipped to handle multiple high-speed
lines?  Or are we also going to pay to increase the level of phone company
support at the server's location?

Technical support--Who does it?  If we buy a server, wherever it is located,
who is going to do the system admin work and provide the necessary technical
support when the usual administrator is on a business trip, or on vacation, or
away at the Gulf War?  What about a head crash?  If the server is sitting in a
private residence, is the resident going to give the alternate administrator
keys to the front door, so the alternate can get in to rebuild the system when
lightning strikes?  And the cost and requirements of maintenance must be
considered - for example, dealing with a head crash.  Will a maintenance
budget be allocated for the administrator's use?  Will the kingdom buy several
hundred dollars' worth of spare parts and keep them on hand so replacing
damanged components is quick?  Or will the web site be down for a week while
arrangements are made through the kingdom seneschal to buy a replacement?  And
remember that the world is full of hackers.  Are there people in the kingdom
who can and will provide the constant attention that is needed to make sure
hackers and crackers don't foul up or misuse the kingdom's server?

That last question is really important.  Most of the people in this kingdom
are already pretty busy.  How many people have the slack time to add server
support and administration to their daily routines?

All the above issues are irrelevant, and the kingdom is saved a lot of hassle
and expense, if we go with a commercial provider.  There are lots of places
where the kingdom could get all the disk space it needs, cgi support, 24-hour
tech support, etc., for the amount of money that has already been collected.
Check out jumpline.net, for example.

I know the idea of having a dedicated server is real attractive, but I really
think the kingdom's needs could be served more efficiently by outsourcing.

    Tomonaga