ANST - Second-Guessing (was: On-line Ansteorra : The Next Generation...)

Gail P. Taylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Wed Apr 28 07:58:07 PDT 1999

>Of course, with something as large as ATYC, I can accept suggestions as if
those making
>them are volunteers, and ask which gate guard shift is best for them.

I'm providing a stained glass window for a prize for ATYC...buy have not
volunteered for gate guard...Does this allow me a voice?

I agree with Gunnora, fully.

Ansteorra-net and such forums are designed for free discussion.  Such forums
used to be called discussion groups.  Ideas are generally discussed in such
places.

Discussion groups are not designed for personal attack.  As long as discussion
is taking place and not attack, then they are serving their purpose.  Those who
routinely attack should be thrown off.  Those who feel personally threatened
when someone disagrees with them will have a problem in any medium.

Not everyone can attend a red tape event, or has interest in doing so.  At the
Red Tape event, only two of us went to the original presentation of Pug's
suggestions.  Does this mean that everyone else there should not have gotten a
voice?  No...we later discussed it in the general meeting.  Does this mean that
the discussion should stop there?  I don't think so....

Buying an Web server will look like a bad decision to any computer professional,
if Pug's and his company's service is not included in the proposal.  Those
online do not know who was at the Red Tape event to critique the original
proposal, to make sure that it made sense.  It's to be expected that computer
professionals would speak up when these additional aspects of service were not
presented, initially, on the net.

Ah, well....up with free speech.  Up with being polite to each other online.  Up
for discussion...not attack.  Follow no man/woman blindly.

Isobel