ANST - options ... Second-Guessing

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Wed Apr 28 09:33:58 PDT 1999

On 28 Apr 99, at 10:50, Pug Bainter wrote:

> > If not, then we get a year of server use for $2000.00,
> > what would that same service cost if outsourced? Answer that question,
> > and you know whether buying the server would be worthwhile.
>
> From a reputable ISP, just webspace for a low-traffic "commercial"
> organization with CGI capability, the cost is $200 activation and $150 per
> month. This only gives 50M of disk storage. ....

that is unless you can find a member in that business who is willing/able to
donate/waive these fees as a "gift" to a kingdom that they have always cared
for, even if they've been absent from it for a while ... so don't dismiss this
option until i can get you both together for a face-face discussion, hopefully
later part of next week.  placed the matter before him a couple days back and
he's interested in principle in helping out and has available resources at his
disposal ...

> As for colocation costs of our own server with services not adding up to
> what I am providing, it would cost $1000 activation and $350 per month. At
> minimum this would not provide backup service, off-site backup storage nor
> firewall protection.

point or order, if you co-locate on a providers rack-space, these services are
often provided as part of the monthly fee (had to research exactly this
situation last year ... web site build / host / co-locate / etc ...) ... one of
the reasons for co-location is the first place

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves