ANST - Second-Guessing (was: On-line Ansteorra : The Next Generation...)

Joel Schumacher jschumac at jcpenney.com
Wed Apr 28 11:00:29 PDT 1999

> Galen of Bristol ranting here...

> Please.  Public critique of ideas is not appropriate.
> If you have questions, criticisms, or objections, send
> them in private.
> Complaints, nit-picking, second-guessing and "helpful"
> suggestions for what someone else could do -- when
> posted publically -- have no positive effect, and
> indeed a palpable negative effect.

When a public call for donations has been placed, I feel
it's the public's right to know how their money is being
spent.  And, if they have problems with it, those things
should be made known.  Perhaps the criticisms are valid
and some minor changes would satisfy everyone and increase
donations.

There have been issues and concerns I had about the computer
ideas, and thought about e-mailing Pug privately.  However,
thanks to the PUBLIC debate, others raised the same
questions IN PUBLIC and were answered IN PUBLIC.  I got my
answers and Pug didn't have to write a dozen e-mails to a
dozen different people who asked the same questions in
private.

> Shall we replace our King and Queen with a committee?
> Must we take _every_ rumor at face value?  Do we
> have so little trust in our leaders?

It's nice to pretend that we live in a kingdom where kings
and queens and their circles make the laws and guide the
path, based on their own great wisdom.  But let's face the
facts that these people are not infallable and may or may
not be knowledgeable about the best way to approach some
situations.

I wouldn't be so touchy when a proposal is held up to
scrutiny.  Anybody's suggestion should be open to debate.
It's arrogance to think that a plan is flawless.  And, if
the plan is all that great, it should hold up to scrutiny.

For the most part I see people offering advice to try to
make the proposal better.  Make sure all bases are covered,
based on their personal experiences in similar things.

Don't we all tend to want to help others to not step into
the same traps we've stepped in?

I don't think they are out to discourage or bash Pug.
They're only trying to help make this the best possible
solution.

Karl von Augsburg