ANST - proposed information options ...

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Wed Apr 28 14:54:54 PDT 1999

On 28 Apr 99, at 15:47, Keith Hood wrote:

> Assuming the cost problem were not in the way, the difference in contents
> is simply corrected by communications between the two.  The most efficient
> way would be to have specific position-dependent duties.  Maybe have the
> person in charge of the Black Star also in charge of content on the Web
> site.  (It could very logically be argued that site content is a kind of
> Kingdom publication). Or have the person who does content for the site be
> a deputy to the person in charge of the Black Star.  Or maybe a liason
> officer - the idea is to have someone who knows it is his or her duty to
> make sure the contents of one are mirrored to the other.  Should be no big
> problem.
>
> I think this is most logically a Chronicler-type function.

good to see that others are starting to think about upgrading business-reality
to match the information rich world we live in ... (g)

an observation i agree with, but apples and oranges are both fruit ...

they are different and unique, but they are same class of thing.  in our case
online/web and print are both based on similar content but differing
markup/format (though that's narrowing) and deleivery methods of the same basic
content.

it would possibly be too large a job for one person to maintain hardcopy and
online (have done both, editing a newsletter and mantaining web sites and
onlien content and would be *very* hesitant to take on both levels of
responsibility).  nor do i think that it would be good to place either below
the other in the "org chart" as both are unique and have unique needs that
would possibly suffer if either were sunservient to the other (also seen that
model in practice and it did not work well at all)

to my mind, it's far better to have a seperate and co-equal hardcopy editor
(Black Star) and a central web-master under the direction & coordination of the
Minister of Information (Propoganda ... grin) / Information Czar, whatever ...
eventually the hardcopy newsletters will fade away (they are fated to do so by
realworld realities ...) but for now better to treat both with teh equal level
of importance they deserve..

perhaps make the moderation of the proposed ANST-BS (pardon ... could'nt
resist, grin) "official" information channel a duty of this "coordinator",
seems the ideal position for this function.  that way the information would
flow from the populace, through one point of contact who would be responsible
in seeing that it was posted to the appropriate site, online / hardcopy / both.
position would also call for some database admin duties to develop and maintain
the information archives and ability to interface with editor and webmaster at
the technical levels.  since it is also a content position, they would also
have to interface with kingdom and local chroniclers & historians to convert
existing collections into the new centralized formats and develop ways to make
them more easily accessable (opinion: a prime reason *for* having a centralized
web site ... not necessarily a web server though)

i should shut up now before i get self in trouble, i'm starting to describe
some of the job duties at a couple of my previous day-jobs (grin)

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves