ANST - the information revolution ...

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Wed Apr 28 17:33:42 PDT 1999

On 28 Apr 99, at 18:37, marsha.greene at mpan.com wrote:

> Ouch, Exactly!  I wanted to say that, but was unwilling to open that can
> of worms. Too late.

let me put on my worm-herder hat .... knew it was coming, had it handy

> Right now, you cannot ignore or do away with the Blackstar in its current
> form, as printed material, as so many folks are not on Web access... but
> some day in the future that may change.  I don't see a computer in every
> home in the next 5years, but perhaps in the next 10.

experts held similar views until the explosion caused by the internet ... in
many places it's up to 50% and with machines getting cheaper and cheaper
(adequate net access platforms can now be had for $300'ish).  the newest trend
is the "cell phone" model where a subscriber signs up for service and gets a
machine for "free" to use that service ... with advent of mega dollars in
online commerce, expect these "free PC" offers to expand this year.

> ... As Society moves to
> a more paperless society, vendors of newspapers, magazines and newsletters
> such as ours will have to come up with some way to provide the information
> in a way that we still have to pay for it, I would imagine. (Not my job,
> thank goodness!)

true, the focus is shifting from the media to the message ... with two
generatiosn raised in teh instant gratification and one in the imemdiate
information access, all the major publication players are increasingly putting
online resources first.

> From what I understand, the membership funds are broken down primarily,
> into subscriptions, general corporate expenses and maintenance (mostly in
> Milpitis) and Corporate insurance.  With free access to the information
> via internet, you replace the BlackStar, what's to make anyone want to pay
> a membership fee, if they can attend any event without being a member.

and this differs from the current model where many choose not to be "members"
and get their information second hand???

why not divorce the newsletters from manditory support, put them on a
subscription basis, and give people the option of subscribing to them or not
... i like TI, but feel it would do fine as a subscription periodical, one that
i would subscribe as it's useful to me ... but i have no use for the BS (g).
all in all, it's not a very interesting periodical and most of the information
i need i get online already.

those that want / need it could subscribe, production could be scaled back to
cope with the necessary subscriptions without hurting it's primary focus as a
informational newsletter

ya know, if you break these things out and let the people decide what levels
they want and can drop their net cost for membership, you might see a marked
increase from those that find cost a issue (which are actually few ... most
choose not to join for other reasons) in those that choose activate membership,
but not take TI or the BS ( ... someone's gonna jump me for that soon ... ++g)

i seriously doubt that those who are already members will stop their
memberships because the information is in a more useful and immediate form ...
for teh most part, it already is.  would be nice to have the option to opt out
of something that is redundant in our lives though (BS) ... consider the trees
we will save and all those evil electrons that will die !!!! (g)

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves