ANST - The Ansteorran Web Server

Krzysztof Kopernik kopernik at Ansteorra.ORG
Thu Apr 29 01:05:13 PDT 1999

Keith Hood (hoodkl at netscape.net) said something that sounded like:
>I agree that the kingdom could use better Web support. And if the majority of
>the kingdom decides we should buy a server, fine by me. For that matter, if
>the people managing the Ansteorran web site would like some help with the work
>load, I'll volunteer. I know HTML and I used to teach system administration.

This is fine but one of the problems we have now is that if I indeed needed
some help I would have to share my ftp account with someone.  One of the
limitations we now face is that we cannot give out any more accounts.  As a
result, anything that is to be posted to the Kingdom web site has to come
through me.

Also, some have expressed the problem of hackers.  Let me assure you that if
someone hacked into our server they would not be grabbing any valueable
information.  There are no credit card numbers floating around, no top secret
documents, and no treasury balance statements to alter.  Right now the system
is backed up by Pug, twice by me and when the site becomes sufficiently large I
plan on burning a cd to provide at least a snapshot of the site in case all of
these safe-guards some how fail when we really need them.

As for monthly charges, it is true that we can get hosted for $20 a month, but
most web hosting companies charge extra for CGI capability, mailing list
services, and extraordinary disk space.  I see the Ansteorra site at least
doubling or tripling in size as soon as the new server arrives (or soon
thereafter).  This situation needs to be included in the pricing scheme.  I do
not think $20 will be the final price we arrive at.

Also I have read other concerns of the server becoming outdated.  From my point
of view this really is not a major concern.  I do not want to debate operating
systems, but I use NT 4.0 and have a 350 MZ Intel processor, 96 MB of RAM with
a 4 gig HD.  I really do not plan on having to buy another system for quite
some time.  Where I work I use NT 4 as well with a 200Mz AMD processor and 128
MB of RAM with a 4gig HD.  It has served me well for 1.5 years.  The only
reason I would need to upgrade is out of my own greed of wanting a faster
system, a bigger HD, and more RAM.  I actually do not need any more than I have
now and am quite comfortable the way things are.  With a server (and Pug can
correct me if I am in error) there are fewer needs than a system you might use
at home.  Yes it needs to be a strong system, but it performs different
functions.  From my experiences the hardware is mainly used to support multiple
users, web pages and graphics, and email.  The machine will never have DOOM
installed on it, will never run Photoshop or Word, and will probably never make
a sound.  The machine does not need a great video card, does not need a sound
card, does not need a good monitor, and does not need a good mouse, keyboard,
zip drive, scanner or any other peripheral.  It only needs a good, fast
processor, a large harddrive or multiple harddrives, plenty of RAM, and an
operating system designed for web use.  Of course power backups do tag along.

Let me also address the issue of the donated computer equipment.  While this is
a very noble gesture, trying to make computer parts work together can be a
nightmare.  From personal experience, some computer parts while in good working
order just are not compatible with each other.  I have a 166MZ MMX Intel
computer that I built with donated parts from friends and other computers I
acquired from schools, etc.  After more than a year, I still have problems.  My
only recourse is to purchase compatible parts.  After doing this there are
still problems that have not been answered.  I have only been told that
sometimes these "things" happen in the computer world.  In my opinion, buying
the new system is the prudent move.

I have said enough already.  Let the arm-wrestling begin.

In Service,

Krzysztof Kopernik
Virtual Scribe, Kingdom of Ansteorra