ANST - The Ansteorran Web Server

Bart Dversdall bartd at ionet.net
Thu Apr 29 04:42:49 PDT 1999

Krzysztof Kopernik wrote:

> Let me also address the issue of the donated computer equipment.
> While this is a very noble gesture, trying to make computer parts work
> together can be a nightmare.  From personal experience, some computer
> parts while in good working order just are not compatible with each
> other.  I have a 166MZ MMX Intel computer that I built with donated
> parts from friends and other computers I acquired from schools, etc.
> After more than a year, I still have problems.  My only recourse is to
> purchase compatible parts.  After doing this there are still problems
> that have not been answered.  I have only been told that sometimes
> these "things" happen in the computer world.  In my opinion, buying
> the new system is the prudent move.I have said enough already.  Let
> the arm-wrestling begin.

    And one other added feature of going with new is warranties,  yes we
can save money with donated parts, but who has a 300-450 mHz processor
laying around, or a 4-5 gig hardrive (fast performing one at that)...ITs
just all aound best to go with new and, to have something already set up
that someone else got payed to figure out the compatability issues.

Matthias Dversdall