ANST - server and information thoughts ...

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Thu Apr 29 12:17:34 PDT 1999

normal disclaimer

.... i'm not endorsing purchase of server this early in process (still believe
it is premature) ... but:

> What Pug is trying to do is to get one (Dell) that has a national firm
> providing a proven program of production reliability and repair.
>
> I have had Dell's. Most of the state agencies (Texas) are Dell. They have
> proven to have one of the best support systems in the business. Now,
> before someone flames me with a horror story, there are exceptions, so do
> not bother. I know not all goes well all the time. But, you prepare for it
> as best as you can and hang on.
>
> I am not a Dell salesman, but I would feel the same way about a Compaq or
> any computer that would have a support structure like Dell and Compaq to
> fall back on if need be.

when i need a personal system, i build it to my needed specifications, but then
i enjoy that sorta thing  .... *but* ... when i spec a system(s) for a client -
workstation(s) or server(s), especially if they are located here in Austin,
Dell is the hands down winner based on fact that they are *solid* machines,
configured to your exact specifications, great warranty service, and if it
breaks, it gets fixed *immediately* ... need parts?  the warehouse's and
outlets are here, main support is here ...

neither am i a Dell salesman, though i have worked for them and but i do own a
lot of Dell stock ...(g) ... and as a curiosity one his very *first* XT clones.

> Pug is approaching this from the angle of a business system. Not a home
> computer. In fact this server will get more traffic than many business
> systems. This is a very professional approach to the purchase of the
> server.

an important note people ... this is not a home workstation class machine.  it
is intended to be a business class server solution.  both have entirely
different focus in their design and configurations (points i've addressed
previously with solid input back from Pug ...).

> It is very honorable to offer help in the form of donations of equipment.
> That is great. If one has a computer that might be donated, sell it and
> donate the money from it's sell. I donated money at the Red-Tape meeting
> and will again if need be.

a better use for that extra workstation-class machine ... donate it to a local
member who needs basic net access, and teach them how to use it.  but donate it
with the proviso that when they outgrow that machine and get a better one, they
in turn do the same to someone else with need.

it's not as high-profile as being publically posted on the "i gave $x to the
server fund" but does as much, if not more good locally.

>  .....what do you think of as a quick, easy source of information on the SCA
> when asked about it by a non-SCA or new SCA person? Now, not all will say
> the web pages, but I bet 80-90% will.
>
> By having this system and capability, we have total control of our single
> iggest means of communication that allows Kingdom, local or whatever
> level of business (and we are a type of business, whether you know it or
> not), to be conducted in a manner that can reach the most number of people
> in the least amount of time and with the least amount of expense and a
> maximum amount of input...just like we are doing right now.

ahh, a breath of fresh air ... and understanding of defining the business need
*first* before designing the support system for it.   and yes, we are a
business, a rather large a dispersed *corporate* business.  why attempt to re-
invent the wheel at all opportunity, take what works out there in commercial
business and reform it to suit or needs ... in this case the information
technology models and practices that is increasingly *manditory* for survival
in this age.

consider "hearts and minds".  you want to attract the necessary new member base
to keep things going .... you gotta "advertise" in the land they walk, and that
land is increasingly online/virtual (as business has learned) ... you want to
keep these new ones until they get established, use the online realms to
nurture.  basically, we are a business and as a business must change with the
times if we are to survive ... it's called evolution.

or someday, it will turn into a "old medievalists home" (g) with everyone
sitting around and bemoaning about what happened to the "good old days" and why
did the organization die  ......

> Now, before I get flamed for not supporting the Black Star, I WHOLLY
> support the Black Star. It is a fine, wonderful and informational
> publication. It does it's job VERY well. But, it is printed once per  month.
> This (cyber) information that would be housed on the server is  almost real
> time.
>
> EACH have their VERY distinct place in our world and business. Do not
> loose sight of that fact.

my question, everytime the idea is broached to *mirror* this data online, there
is a great hue and cry that we are someone attacking the existence of hardcopy
periodicals / newsletters and threatening their existance.

far from it, what i want to see are options more in tune with the realities
many of us live under ... personally, i want *more* online access to archival
and informational data, more immediate access and updates to time-critical
information (get a lot of that "informally" online already and the thus the BS
is already becoming less and less important to me), i don't see why we should
should be forced to wait for a monthly summation of newsletter-class
information that in many cases is already dated (the nature of hardcopy) when
better and more timely options (not to mention cheaper ... printing and postage
costs are on the rise) are available.

i say, produce both and let the populace choose which best serves their needs

> Anything that can expedite the flow of business and traffic, allowing things
> to be done cheaper, more efficiently and faster benifits even the newest
> member in the most distant group in a very good way and constitutes money
> well spent.

amen ...

> ... It all trickles down to the bottom, just like chocolate on ice cream.

not to mention the best kimchee in the crock (g)

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves