ANST - stop the madness ...

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Thu Apr 29 14:09:08 PDT 1999

this fund-raising uber-alles hysteria is starting to get absurd ...

On 29 Apr 99, at 14:56, Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> Let's try a little different approach.  Donate the PC to the Kingdom, take
> the charitable deduction.  Let the Kingdom decided whether to loan the PC
> to an officer (Kingdom, Regional or local) or sell it to raise funds.  If
> they choose to sell it, let the local seneschal and treasurer auction it
> off. .

let's not! it's one of the worst ideas i've heard ... and lot of them have be
flying around of late.  the SCA has *zero* business being a PC commodity broker
.. way out of scope..

> ... This benefits the donor, the organization, and the recipient

so does *giving* it directly to those who need it, and having them pass it
along to the next person in need  ... except it's cheaper because the the
middlemen aren't collecting their cut and jacking the cost without reason (hate
hidden or unneccessary "taxations" ...).   suppoting the kingdom and officers
is NOT the intent of this suggestion, it is solely targeted at supporting the
populace in need ... and i don't see what the officers/kingdom need to have
their hands involved.

more *strong* opinions follow ...

think it's a better idea to use local excess resources locally than to rely on
"big brother" to decide what's best for me and my cynn.  also hate it when
"government" decide to make a few bucks by riding the coat-tails of ideas they
see as having "milking" potential.

i think it's far more important to develop the skill base / allow basic access
to the populace than the upper echelon officers ... if we use the kingdom
centric model you propose , these excess resources would tend to migrate up
instead of outward and we only perpepetuate the access / skill problems ... nor
i do not want to see the kingdom selling off the resources for the benefit of
the treasury.

so as i see supporting the populace as being far more important in this matter
than enmeshing it with the politics of the kingdom, officer convenience or
serving as a vehicle for enriching the kingdoms coffers, next time i have
excess equipment, i'll take my "charitable deduction" by putting these excess
resources *directly* in the hands of local individual and help them join the
rest of the online-tribe ... and they in turn can bring the next ... and so on.

to my mind, giving a person you're old net and teaching them to fish is always
more productive than reliance on the government to sell / ration a fish from
above, unless you are trying to make them reliant on your continued charity.
and i see a lot of deserving and "hungry" people locally that can helped, and
it's a basic tribal imperitive, you always take care of your own first.

i've seen the hand-hand model work well and stand by it ...

'wolf
... "think globally, play locally"

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves