ANST - a server software question

Joel Schumacher jschumac at jcpenney.com
Thu Apr 29 15:57:06 PDT 1999

A lot of talk has gone around about $2000 for the server hardware.

What about the OS, web-server software, and any other software (mail
software, etc) that may not be bundled into the OS?  I know Dell
usually puts Win98 on their boxes, but it sounded like you were
leaning towards a more professional OS, like Solaris or NT.

How much extra is this going to cost?  I know in some cases MS has
offered educational discounts that might be taken advantage of.  And,
the PC version of Solaris is being offered for free for non-commercial
users (assuming a non-profit org might fall into that category).

For example, here's some prices from CompUsa's site.
   Lotus's Webserver                         $529.
   Microsoft Mail V3.2                       $253
   Microsoft Site Server (10 lic)            $1390
   Microsoft Site Server (5 lic)             $1190
   Microsoft Windows NT Workstation (1 lic)  $250

I'm not familiar enough with these products and which mix you'll need
to do this.  Some of these may be overkill.  But, if these needs are
anywhere near the mark, it looks like we're talking a lot more than
$2000 to get this going.

Forgive me if I missed the software issue being addressed in a