ANST - Scrolls

Weiszbrod, Barbara A (Barbara) baw2 at lucent.com
Mon Aug 2 08:06:46 PDT 1999

> Fra Tadhg wrote:
>
> Am I the only person bothered by the prospect that an officer whose job
> is supervising the production of official award documents for a Kingdom
> of the SCA, an organization allegedly dedicated to "Research and
> education in the field of pre-17th-Century Western Culture", is
> knowingly encouraging people to do things that are demonstrably
> contrary to period practice?

Actually, Sir Alrek's job is to be sure the scrolls are at court with the
correct names on them.  If you want to be arguing with the person who's job
is "supervising the production of official award documents" that would be
Baroness Curstaid (I have probably spelled that incorrectly, forgive me).

>  If the SCA has surreptitiously become an annex to the prop department for
> "Xena the Warrior Princess",

Although no one can argue that the scrolls we use are not at all what they
should be compared to their period counter parts, it is unfair to say that
the use of them makes us look like Xena.  You should at least keep your
insults balanced.  I would say that we look more like "First Knight" or
"Camelot"

Personally,  I like the scrolls that we use. Although I acknowledge their
inaccuracy, I see them as one of our better learning tools.  Countess Sara
and I have often discussed the fact that we would never have learned
anything about calligraphy and illumination if we had not had the scroll
system to get us involved.  One of her next projects is a charter done in
the manner that you espouse.   I, on the other hand, am thinking of doing a
re-production of an Antiphonal page.   Starting at painting photocopied
scrolls, moving on to original (if not historically accurate) work  and then
to period charters or reproduction of period works. Is that not a learning
experience?

Alys.