ANST - Scrolls

Weiszbrod, Barbara A (Barbara) baw2 at lucent.com
Mon Aug 2 09:19:39 PDT 1999

> Delphina wrote:
>
> Then why did Sir Alrek post all of that stuff about what he wants to see
> and how the charters should be painted and produced?

Sir Alrek is the Sable scroll, he has all the painted charters.  Their
Majesties contact him to tell him who they are giving what to when. He fills
in that info and sees to it that the scrolls are at the event.

That leaves him with all the painted scrolls and the job of choosing which
ones are given to whom.  I am sure that his post was intended as just some
helpful suggestions on how to make the scrolls as beautiful as possible.

> He made it sound like anyone could copy the charters and paint them any
> way they like as long as it was pretty.

Anyone 'could' copy the scrolls and paint them anyway that they want.  The
only control we have over that is when the Sable Scroll makes his/her
choices in what to use.

Baroness Curstaid, as Star Signet,  would be the one that decides what new
scroll designs are approved.  That being the case Mater Tadhg's complaints,
valid as they are, would have been better directed at her.  Alrek is just
trying to do the job that has been given to him.

> I'm just a little confused

As many people are, so don't feel badly about it.

The point that Mater Tadhg is making is that a period charter would not be a
painted thing at all.  Most Kingdoms in the SCA use a scroll style that is a
mixture of Book of Hours designes and badly researched charter text.  Our
texts are obstensibly better researched than most, many Kingdoms don't
control the texts at all so each scroll is....unique.  I have not seen an
example of any Kingdom using historically researched, documentable charter
designes.  Is that indeed what the Mid Relm is doing, or are they creating
original works in the same style as ours?

In futher discussion people have asked how large the other kinddoms are that
use original scrolls for each award.  It would be a better question to ask
how many awards are given on a regular basis.  When Countess Sara was Sable
Scroll, for only part of Kein and Alishia's reign, she processed over 300
awards.  While I was on the Scribes list it seemed that other Kingdoms
thought that was extremely excessive.  Also, there are Kingdoms where the
only part of the event the scribes see is the scriptorium because they are
working the entire time to produce these original works.  Do we want to go
there?

Alys.