ANST - Scrolls

Ledonna tavy at swbell.net
Mon Aug 2 09:55:01 PDT 1999

Weiszbrod, Barbara A (Barbara) wrote:

> The point that Mater Tadhg is making is that a period charter would not be a
> painted thing at all.  Most Kingdoms in the SCA use a scroll style that is a
> mixture of Book of Hours designes and badly researched charter text.  Our
> texts are obstensibly better researched than most, many Kingdoms don't
> control the texts at all so each scroll is....unique.  I have not seen an
> example of any Kingdom using historically researched, documentable charter
> designes.  Is that indeed what the Mid Relm is doing, or are they creating
> original works in the same style as ours?

So what we are doing is making pages for a book of hours and the like
and passing them off as official charters that are period.  I did not
realize that we were that far off period.  Maybe renaming them pages
would be better.  ;)  [just trying to get some humor in this
discussion.]

> In futher discussion people have asked how large the other kinddoms are that
> use original scrolls for each award.  It would be a better question to ask
> how many awards are given on a regular basis.  When Countess Sara was Sable
> Scroll, for only part of Kein and Alishia's reign, she processed over 300
> awards.  While I was on the Scribes list it seemed that other Kingdoms
> thought that was extremely excessive.  Also, there are Kingdoms where the
> only part of the event the scribes see is the scriptorium because they are
> working the entire time to produce these original works.  Do we want to go
> there?
>
> Alys.

There are events in Ansteorra now, where the scribes only sees the
scriptorium and it is a great shame.  I feel that it makes people think
twice before learning what is needed to help out in this field.  I know
that 300 is a low number of scrolls for a crown to hand out.  I just
wasn't sure what other kingdoms were giving.

Thanks
Delphina