ANST - Scrolls

Tiomoid of Angle tiomoid at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 1 06:10:57 PDT 1999

--- Cameron Lewis <camlewis at swbell.net> wrote:

> Second, There are lots of scrolls in the boxes I was given however, I
> like to give out scrolls with details.  That is, dots on early period
> scrolls, white work and shading on later period scrolls,  letters in
> the title enhanced with something, etc.  I like fluff and pretty
stuff > on scrolls.  If you do not know how to do that remember we are
an
> eductional society and I or any number of painters can tell you or
> show you.

Since we are alleged to be an educational society (an objective honored
more in the breach than in the observance, unfortunately), I shall
merely point out that "fluff and pretty stuff", including but not
limited to "dots, white work and shading", on documents with respect to
honors is NOT PERIOD. Anyone who wants to do a Book of Hours or a
Psalter is encouraged to do so. Anyone attempting to do an official
diploma respecting an award ought to be aware that all this "scroll"
embellishment is SCA fantasy fru-fru, and contrary to the stated goals
of the SCA.

Fra Tadhg Liath OFT
Hanaper Herald Extraordinary
The Grumpiest Pelican