ANST - scrolls (vellum)

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Mon Aug 2 14:18:17 PDT 1999

Russell Husted wrote:
> Vellum costs $40 for an 8" x 10" piece last time I checked.
>
> >and is relatively expensive<

Actually it varies depending upon the quality and the animal
that it comes from. But I think the price you quote is a
reasonable starting number from what I remember.

There is an SCA member named Balderick (Rick Cavasin) <cav at storm.ca>
who makes and sells vellum. He has told me that very little of
what he makes actually goes to folks in the SCA. He has a
wonderful website with the details of making parchment and a
list of what he has available and it's prices. Much of what
he makes is custom, so you can't always get the type of
material you want "off-the-shelf". I don't remember the address
of his site, but it is in this file in my Florilegium. There are
also some other parchment sources given.

parchment-msg     (64K) 11/17/98    Making and buying parchment. substitutes.
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/parchment-msg.html

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net

(the main Florilegium page is at: