ANST - Scrolls (long)

marsha.greene at mpan.com marsha.greene at mpan.com
Mon Aug 2 14:59:10 PDT 1999

I think Delphina's original question could be expanded to include:??
1.  How many awards are given out in the other kingdoms??
2.  How long is the back log of original hand made scrolls in those other
Kingdoms ??

1.  I understand that Ansteorra is somewhere in the middle as far as
population count goes compared to the other Kingdoms.  I guess we would
have to get some statistics from the Heralds offices of those kingdoms, as
far as number of 'armigerous' awards given per reign.   Might be
interesting to compare to the Kingdom population counts.  I would still
guess we are somewhere in the middle.   Currently, I heard the amount to be
around 300 awards per reign (plus or minus) in Ansteorra.

2.   While it would be nice to provide original handmade scrolls to each
award recipient, be the scroll in the form of a true historical document or
an illuminated book of hours page, I don't believe it is practical for the
scribes of this Kingdom, right now.   It's something this Kingdom used to
do and moved away from over 10 years ago; primarily because of the backlog
in getting that handmade scroll, and the major burn-out factor for the
scribes.

In those Kingdoms that do these hand scrolls, I'm told it's rare for a
recipient to get a handmade scroll in the court they are given the award.
Usually, the work is presented anywhere from 3months to 3years later or
more; generally dependent on the rank of the award (higher awards have more
stuff on their scrolls).    In speaking to those other Kingdom's scribes
that do handmade scrolls, many of the scribes would like to see the use of
Charters, as we do; but their traditions are so set, its hard to change
them now.     Ansteorra moved away from giving the award recipient a
'promisory' scroll with the 'promise' of a handmade scroll in the future;
to a 'charter' as the official final scroll, with no handmade scroll in the
future.     I would bet there are several hundred folks in our kingdom, who
long ago received a promisory, and to date, have not received an handmade
scroll that was supposed to follow.

That does not mean that the recipient cannot get an AOA or a Thistle award,
etc.,  done by hand... they can certainly *commission*  one from any scribe
of choice (by mutual agreement).   So long as the text used is one of the
variants officially approved and the important components of the scroll are
present (all information available from Star Signet), then a handmade
original may be commissioned for any award.  :->

A small aside... when framing your award scrolls, whether handmade or zerox
copy painted pages, please add a mat board to the frame unit.  If the
scroll is resting directly on the glass, it can be damaged beyond repair.

Perhaps those going to Pennsic this year, and for the rest of us - Gulf
Wars -2000, scribes could gather for some roundtable discussions on Kingdom
differences, and the histories behind those policies and traditions.

Baroness Hillary Rose Greenslade   Westgate/Stargate

jhartel <jhartel at net-link.net> on 08/02/99 11:02:56 AM

> I have another question:  How large are the kingdoms that use no
> photocopied charters?
>
> Delphina

So you see there is a LOT of land up here.  EXcluding the Principality
the MidRealm has 79 groups, 17 which are baronies.

Moriel***