ANST - Re: SC - Charters, a Reflection

Lee Lemons lalemons at flash.net
Tue Aug 3 15:56:33 PDT 1999

Greetings!

Master Tadhg has some interesting ideas here!

> So: I suggest that an appropriate resolution would involve a two-part
> system. One part would be geared toward what happens in court, the
> other part toward what hangs on the recipient's wall. The latter need
> not be as authentic as the former, since it has a much more restricted
> venue -- an inauthentic glitzy Sable Crane "scroll" hanging in
> someone's living room isn't going to have the scandalous effect on the
> Medieval Atmosphere Of The SCA as what is announced in court at an
> event in front of God and everybody. It seems to me that such a
> division would have a lot to recommend it.

Okey dokey, but one slight question - when did a painted charter have a
scandalous effect in Court?  I maybe misunderstanding your point here.....I am
a little confused...

> It would effectively address the workload concern because people
> wouldn't be rushing to have "production model" documents ready in time
> to hand out at events that march inexorably down the calendar like the
> water-hauling brooms in The Sorcerer's Appentice.

Ha ha - loved that film and especially that scene - often wished for like help
in my apartment!

> A simple form
> involving only calligraphy (with perhaps some calligraphic
> embellishment, as was often done in period, for Real Important Awards)
> would be much easier to prepare in time for Court than the current
> labor-intensive painted "scrolls". It would be excellent practice for
> calligraphers-in-training. The cost of materials would also be less, I
> suspect, consisting only of good quality paper and ink -- no worries
> about toner and paint adhesion under sometimes rough "field"
> conditions. It could be made as anal-retentively authentic as the Crown
> will allow. People like me wouldn't have all that much to complain
> about. The sun would shine (in a temperate way), birds would sing,flowers
> would bloom, and all would be joy and merriment.

Ok!  But now I have a question - I know how hard it is to get the painters for
the charters, how hard will it be to find the calligraphers?

> It would effectively address the Death By Decoration impulse, because
> the actual "production" document could be tailor-made to the desires of
> the recipient and the capabilities of the artisan. This would take a
> process of adjustment in the College of Scribes to get people lined up
> to do the actual work, with plenty of time to work out such details as
> specifications and reimbursement for materials, variety of forms for
> use with particular personae, etc., but that process wouldn't be under
> the psychological weight of the need for Getting It Done In Time For
> Court.

Um, depending on the number of calligraphers we can find.....

> I had an extensive discussion on this subject last night with Mistress
> Serena (who unfortunately doesn't have easy computer access like the
> rest of us idlers) and He-Who-Ought-To-Be-Master Lodovico, and I'm
> working on a detailed proposal regarding implementing such a system.
> But I thought that perhaps I'd present the skeleton of it here to see
> what sort of concerns people raise, since I'd like to address them in
> the proposal when it's ready for debut.

> Tadhg

Thank you!  Nicely done!

Curstaidh