ANST - The Great Scroll Debate

Jeffery Hartley jeffery.hartley at worldnet.att.net
Tue Aug 3 19:39:54 PDT 1999

Gentle Readers, Fellow Scribes and Scroll Painters,

I have just recently read the fascinating discussion going on about
Charters, scroll texts and the desire for more authentic documents in our
kingdom courts. Did you know that in A.S. XXII this kingdom went to
paintless Charters? Do you know what happened? The Crown, the Landed
Nobility and the populous rebelled. They wanted painted Charters. While I
believe we can continue to move toward more period texts we should also
consider what the might be best for the kingdom as opposed to just deciding
to do what we want to do without a bit more research on the actual needs of
the kingdom. Right now the kingdom needs well painted Charters. If you wish
to assist in this ongoing and never ending project please contact your
Regional Scribe for Charters and suggestions on the proper materials. No
doubt new scroll masters could also be designed.  Please contact the Star
Signet, Baroness Curstaidh Magorlick, lalemmons at flash.net if you are
interested in helping to create these. Remember also that the current
Charters were created in good faith by talented people wishing to serve the
kingdom. They deserve our appreciation and not words of scorn. To all those
who have designed and painted Charters, thank you so very much, without your
work hundreds of Ansteorran citizens would be without award scrolls. Indeed
you deserve more thanks than anyone could ever give. In closing I would like
add that our Star Signets and Sable Scrolls work very hard and long hours to
keep this kingdom supplies with award scrolls. They deserve our support and
assistance. Please ask them what needs to be done.

I remain respectfully yours, Rose S. Cathan, M. L.