ANST - Awards

Dr Tiomoid of Angle tiomoid at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 08:16:00 PDT 1999

--- Trish McCurdy <ladyoftherose at hotmail.com> wrote:

> "My" reason is because of person experiences and things I have
> witnessed. Someone else might feel differently though.
>
> "My" reasoning is that I have seen alot of people go to a friend and
> say "I  put you in for this award", and when it doesn't happen at
> that event, or sometimes even for a very long time, the person who
> was given that knowledge that they were nominated has some hurt
> feelings.
>
> Some people might take that knowledge and get the warm fuzzies
> knowing that another felt that they were worthy, and perhaps this
> might mean even more than the award itself.
>
> But others might take that knowledge and feel slighted if the
> recommendation wasn't acted on.

Serious concerns. But they raise two questions in my mind:

1. Does the person who is likely to feel slighted for not getting an
award just because they've been nominated for one really deserve an
award?

2. Is it better to take the chance of a person who's been doing a lot
of work drops out because of no recognition of any kind just on the off
chance that they'd feel slighted if they were recommended for an award
and either didn't get it or got it only after a while?

> There is no rule against telling, I would just caution against it
> because of the way it might affect a person's feelings.  And there
> is something to be said for a suprised reaction, it often makes
> better pictures :)

I've always hated the surprise-party, Queen-for-a-Day impulse that
seems to permeat the awards process. Like a person who comes home to a
surprise birthday party when they had something else planned for that
evening, it puts people in an awkward position. I've always thought
that the notion, distressingly common in the SCA, that "getting good
pictures" justifies putting people on the spot that way is rather
juvenile.

Fra Tadhg Liath OFT
The Grumpiest Pelican
SCITIS IMPLETI * NOSCE IGNOTIS