ANST - Awards (long)

marsha.greene at mpan.com marsha.greene at mpan.com
Wed Aug 4 09:26:41 PDT 1999

I've done my share in recommending folks for awards, and find it's a
privilege to be able to do so.      But, have never told the 'candidate'
for the award that I had recommended them beforehand; for the same reasons
noted by others... what if they don't get the award?  No reason to cause
hurt feeling.    If unsure whether the candidate will be at court, it often
helps to gain the assistance of a member of their household or significant
other, to make sure they are on site and available to accept the award when
called, especially if you have a good idea they will get called.   Keep
those who know about the award being given down to a minimum... just as
much of a treat for those watching court as for the one getting the award.

But, there is certainly nothing wrong with telling the award recipient that
you recommended them, *After*  they got the award.  They feel special
getting the award from the crown, but often feel more special when they
know who in the local community supported the 'getting of it'.   Adds icing
to the cake!    And I get to feel like 'Santa Claus' when I see my
recommendations being fulfilled.  :->

earlier comments on refusing awards.   Over the years, I have heard several
folks say they avoid court because they did not want to be called, or they
would refuse the award if called.... primarily because they were at odds
with the seated Nobility or Crown.   It may not happen often, but it does
happen.  May I suggest to the folks avoiding court/refusing the award, that
the hand they are rejecting is not the one that is presenting the award,
but rather the folks that wrote the award recommendations.    Having been
Sable Scroll several times myself, I have found the the majority of the
awards the Crown/Nobility present are not initiated by the Crown/Nobility,
but rather by the populace.    Consider the *source* of the award, not
necessarily the *presentation* of it.

Get those pens ready and write or e-mail those award recommendations.   Oh,
by the way, you know this event is coming more than 6months in advance, as
a rule... please send the rec's no later than one month before the event.
Any later than that is causing more work for the staff, and may mean the
award is not given, as its too late to prepare.   Even two-weeks before the
event is tight.   The sooner the Crown can set the awards, the sooner the
Sable Scroll can have nice scrolls ready, and avoid the expense of sending
the awards through overnight delivery.
Baroness Hillary Rose Greenslade

--- Trish McCurdy <ladyoftherose at hotmail.com> wrote:

> And most of all, don't tell the person your wrote about that you did
> it. Let it be a suprise if it happens, and a confidence between you
> and those you sent the recommendation to.

Why? And especially why "most of all"?
Fra Tadhg Liath OFT