ANST - Calligraphy/Scrolls

Russell Husted husted at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 5 12:01:55 PDT 1999

Mahee
-Allessandre
>Master Tadgh

>...the kingdom would have a set of standard texts that everyone
>would be obliged to follow and that would be changed only for good and
>sufficient "legal" (in SCA terms) reasons.

Ansteorra does have all texts standardized. I had to get a copy of these
before I could begin to develop new charters(only the illumination part is
what is new)

>a Norse persona is a Norse persona for a reason, and such a person
>would obviously be more pleased with something in Norse runes than
>in Latin miniscule.

We have atleast one charter done in runes. Most charters are culture
specific, but few people know a italian illumination from norman, and you do
not always get the one that relates to your personna.

-And writing a document is far easier (no matter what the script)
-than illuminating it and writing it.

This is true, but,
1st...In period the illuminator and the calligrapher are not the same
person.
2nd...I am not fast, but I not slow either. It takes me 4 or more hours to
callig a scroll. And that is doing a rush job. If I do a scroll from
scratch, it may take me as many as 30 hours from beginning to end. Remember,
you cannot make any mistakes. If you do, start over. A caligrapher working
for the Pope wrote about 50 pages for him, it took him 5 years, and he was a
master.
3rd...In period, a scribe wrote in only one style and one culture. We, SCA
scribes, must be able to write in many styles, many time periods, and many
cultures. The layout of the words on a page change with each.

-I would like a scroll done authentically, in black and red, as most
-legal documents were.  Then I would request a page done in the
-manner of a "book of prayer", (like the Duc du Berry illuminations?)
-with a prayer on one side and the picture on the other,commemorating
-the event of my elevation (to whatever level).

All I can say to that is that I do not have enough time to do that, you are
talking months of work.

-have the King and Queen, sign it, right before their eyes.

Neat idea, but it would make court longer.

Many good points were stated in the original post. I have only responded to
a few. I like the idea of having period charters, but I also see the
problems that can go with it. I can paint most charters faster than I can
slap out a quicky from scratch callig only scroll.

Most people do not realize how labour intensive it is to write with perfect
handwriting, never making a mistake. And every scroll I make is handed to a
herald for their "legal" aproval before it is ever given to anyone to sign
or hand out.

Please, keep the discussion going. I am learning much. Thank you

            / )|           Mahee of Acre             |( \
           / / |           Russell Husted            | \ \
         _( (_ |         husted at hotmail.com          | _) )_
         \       /      Torre de los Brazos        \       /
          \    _/     Canton of Loch Soillier       \_    /
          /   /         Kingdom of Ansteorra          \   \