ANST - Calligraphy/Scrolls

Dr Tiomoid of Angle tiomoid at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 5 14:04:15 PDT 1999

--- Russell Husted <husted at hotmail.com> wrote:

> A caligrapher working for the Pope wrote about 50 pages for him, it >
took him 5 years, and he was a master.

This sounds excessive. Source?

> 3rd...In period, a scribe wrote in only one style and one culture.
> We, SCA scribes, must be able to write in many styles, many time
> periods, and many cultures.

Only if we want to. If you want Carolingian miniscule, I'm your boy. If
you want Roman Rustic, find somebody else. This is another area in
which people ought to be allowed to specialize, based on individual
tastes. Illumination much the same: I love doing Celtic knotwork and
interlace, but Renaissance foliation bores me to tears.

Fra Tadhg Liath OFT
The Grumpiest Pelican
SCITIS IMPLETI * NOSCE IGNOTIS