ANST - The game we play (was - Scrolls & Charters - Thank you)

Ledonna tavy at swbell.net
Thu Aug 5 19:42:16 PDT 1999

[snip]

Lee Lemons wrote:

> > <big snip>   of Master Tadhg's message
> > * Star Signet farms out the assignment to a person or persons willing
> > to do the presentation document. The recipient might have somebody in
> > mind, and the document might (indeed, probably ought to) be a
> > cooperative venture involving people who prefer to do calligraphy and
> > other people who like to do illumination.
>
> Okay, I'm a little confused at this point - they are given the Proclamation,
> and then arrange to have an illuminated document (like what we have to begin
> with, sort of) suitable for their time period, award level, etc.?  This seems to
> be doubling the work when it has been hard enough to get the original work
> level done.
>
> Moreover, the last paragraph, in and of itself, represents the problem we have
> right now in trying to get original works done for those requesting a something
> original because they were just made a Laurel, Pelican, Knight, Count/ess,
> etc.  We have very few people willing to do these originals as it is, now we
> want this Kingdom-wide?  <shaking in my sandals>

[snip]
> Curstaidh

How many out there have ever recieved an award without the charter?
Raise your hands high please.  I can count several among the ones
hanging on my wall that took many months/years to get to me.  I'm not
complaining (and by the way I do paint charters) just pointing out that
the game we play has some flaws and some of them are not fixable to the
point of perfection.  Now wait, please keep reading.  I agree that we
should strive for perfection, and settle for greatness.  I like the idea
that our scrolls should be more period but when do we have to say "This
is a game. I have a real life with a job, that pays the bills and allows
me to play the game. I have only this much time to play and I want to
enjoy it."

We all come to this game from different starting points and we all view
this game differently.  And guess what We are all Correct!  Each and
every one of us.  I think that it is wonderful that there are people
with the talent to create charters and hope that they will continue to
do so.  I would also like to see more people teaching others how to do
so.  This is a grassroots movement, we have to create the artist so that
they can create the art.  Then we have to let them give of themselves in
the way they see fit.  I hate to be in the kitchen and will do so only
if truly needed, but there are people out there who like to cook and
they see fit to give of their talents in the kitchen.  (I give thanks
for them every time I'm at an event)

Here's some more questions:  How many of you out there sew your own
garments?  Out of those, how many of you do any hand work on the
garments?  And finally, how many of those goo gentles do not use a
sewing machine or modern scissors, thread, fabric etc?  Who out there
can say that they have made their garment from raising the sheep to
wearing a beautiful gown?  I can't but I do my best and that's all that
anyone can ask for.

Sorry about the rant.  But boy do I feel better.

Delphina
(waiting for the hammer to fall)