ANST - Re: ansteorra V1 #1990

R. Smith superboy at lsh.org
Sat Aug 14 23:08:01 PDT 1999

>Baroness Phillippa, my lord is also left-handed and still does calligraphy
but
>he has a secret.  He draws the letters with the paper upside down and it is
>quite good!  (If I do say so myself).
>Jilleighanne

Disclaimer: I am neither a calligrapher not a scroll painter.

There is a theory with some substantial body of backing research that says
basically this: drawing upside down causes a sort of state of unrecognition
that makes the left brain give up on understanding what you are doing, and
frees the right brain to work on detail without being sabotaged by the left
brain's dependence on icons.

In essence: if I want to draw an A, the left brain says "just draw an A.  we
know what an A is."  and if I'm trying to draw a very specific A, that
hinders me.  The right brain is concerned with detail, not icons, and says,
"yes, let us do that interesting shape you want.  I don't care what it is,
but let us be precise in our rendering of it."

The short form of which is: there is some research to suggest that doing
this kind of thing upside down might well help, particularly anyone who
might read this who is having frustrating problems as described.

If anyone is interested, I will find my bloody reference on this... it's a
wonderful book and I have no idea where it is this minute.

Tighearnach mac Morgain
Shire of Mooneschadowe