ANST - THE ROLE OF THOSE IN POWER

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Aug 16 12:28:43 PDT 1999

> Can anyone tell me the roles and jobs of the crown, landed barons, and landed
> baroness? Besides the mundane activities, how are they to conduct themselves
> public and privately? How are they to treat their subjects?
>
> Just simple little me asking,
> Alina

Hello Alina,

I can't speak for anybody but myself so please don't take this as gospel.
I feel it is the job of the Crown to be stable leaders as well as the final
say in matters of disputes. Although the Crown's word is Law that
word must be tempered with a good dose of reality and reason. It is
too easy to forget that in six months a Crown will step down and then
have to take responsibility for their actions and so they will often believe
they actually have ultimate power and often wind up paying the price
when they step down.

A Crown should dress well and speak well. They are often what others
see as the epitome of that Kingdom. Courtesy should paramount to a
Crown's tools. The populace will forgive many mistakes of a Crown if
that Crown is polite and even apologizes for those mistakes or
inconviences that happen. A Crown should be dignified when called for
but also avoid being pompous. They should be approachable by the populace.
It is a terrible thing when a member of the populace is afraid to approach
his Crown. The King and Queen should often be father and mother to the
kingdom, stern when needed, playful when needed but always loving.
They should never forget that they are in the spotlight all the time. Even
at home when there are visitors or in any case where the result could
reflect badly on the Kingdom and the Society. When They pull up onto
a site after driving for 12 hours for the 10th weekend in a row and snap
at the Gate Keepers they will be remembered for that moment of
grumpiness forever. Just because they are in jeans and t-shirts makes
them no less the Crown.

The most important thing for a Crown is for them to never, ever forget
that they rule only because the people allow them to.

Landeds are representatives of the Crown and are the Crown in their
groups. They are to look after their people and the people of the surrounding
areas. They are to settle disputes, reward those of good effort and to
advise the Crown of the happenings in their areas. In matters of courtesy
and conduct they should have the same requirements of the Crown for
they are the representatives of their barony as well as the Kingdom.
They should nurture their group and maintain order. They should always
be unfailing in their courtesy and welcome new members. And like the
Crown they should always feel they are in the spotlight for better or
worse.

The roles of Crown and Barony should never be easy. It is up to the people
they serve to make it easier for them.

As I said in my preface, these are only my opinions and others who have
ruled, in some cases far better than I, have different opinions. But I hope
these help your quest.

Yours,

Gunthar