ANST - THE ROLE OF THOSE IN POWER

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Tue Aug 17 17:46:51 PDT 1999

On 16 Aug 99, at 20:14, Alice Harris wrote:

> Is it for those in power, kingdom or baronial, to make judgements on the
> people they serve? In references to judgement, I mean to use your power to
> hold individuals back and/or to refuse awards they should have been given?

Well, I would not use the term "hold back", but yes, that is, in fact, the job.
Someone has to decide who gets the awards. There are only two alternatives:

1. Set up a "merit badge" system where the qualifications for a given award
are clearly spelled out and require no judgment (or very little).

or

2. Set the awards out on a table and let people come take what they think they
deserve.

The "merit badge" method would need clearly defined goals and would not
allow us to judge areas such as "works well with others" and "shows good
leadership ability".

The "come and take it" method would make our awards valueless because
*they only have value if they are exclusive*. We have an award that goes to
everyone who shows up -- we call it a site token.

> I personally feel it is the job, besides giving a good show, be fair and
> impartial when dealing with all individuals no matter your opinion of them.

If you disagree with who is getting awards, or you feel the reasons they are
getting them are invalid, that is another matter. First, make sure your own
house is in order (ex: have you sent in award recommendations for those you
think have been passed over?) and then talk to those making the decisions
and tell them your opinion of their methods.

You might also make up your own token and bestow it on those you feel are
worthy. I give a tyger (my badge) pin to those who I see perform deeds that
impress me.

Doré