ANST - Embassy Row

Karie Mitchell allessandre at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 18 09:17:43 PDT 1999

Greetings Ansteorran friends!

I am interested in learning of how many people are going to Elfsea's
Defender Tournament in late September and if anyone is interested in being a
part of Embassy Row.

We in Elfsea have enjoyed doing the Culture Camps in the past and have
always welcomed people who bring various cultures to share with us.
However, we have noticed that with each year, there were fewer but more
extravagant camps.

This brought us to the question of how to make the display of one's culture
more easy and appealing to those who don't have time or resources to do a
whole camp.  That's when we hit upon the idea of Embassy Row.

We want people to come, a few at a time and set up a small pavillion, just a
few yards away from the list field.  There they will have the chance to show
off their culture, be it food, clothing, artisan skills, entertainment, or a
mixture of all these.  This way people who haven't had time to plan a whole
year, or don't have many "kinsmen" from the same culture, can bring a
smaller display and compete for prizes and word-fame.

It doesn't need to be much, a pavillion, attired as it would be in your
culture, with a few people (perhaps 3 or 4?) sitting around doing things
that they would have done in your homeland.  You might even talk to the
sponsors of the tournaments and request a particular style of weapon to be
chosen during a round, with the offer of some trinket or word fame for those
who choose it and do well.  Or perhaps wagering on the fights is something
done in your country... :)

We will still host the Culture Camps, but because the competition has been
so stiff, we are refraining from judging these this year.  Those who bring
Embassies will be judged on their ability to best represent their culture,
through food and overall display.  But bring whatever you can and feel
comfortable with.  I'm sure wordfame is often as worthy a prize as a real
gift!

Please send me news of people from far distant lands who are planning to
come to our little Barony of Elfsea!  I would like to know what preparations
should be made and how to make our guests feel welcome!  If you know anyone,
or are anyone coming to this event, don't hesitate to respond to my message
or post to this list.

Sincerely,

Allessandre Desiderio
Ambassador Coordinator to the