ANST - armor standards

Brent & Susan Rachel hbrache at texas.net
Mon Aug 23 20:23:40 PDT 1999

Currently Ansteorra does not allow shinai fighting at official SCA functions.
Not even in heavy armor.

Due to a ruling by the Board and the SCA Marshalate many months ago, no form of
combat (to include boffer) may take place in any Kingdom unless there are rules
expressly for it and a marshalate to oversee it.

Current Heavy weapons construction guidelines do not allow for the use of bamboo
as a naked striking surface in armored combat.  With the exception of fiberglass
for spears, and special grade plastic piping (siloflex) that is now legal for
encasing rattan swords, rattan is the only substance allowed for weapons in
armored combat.

So..., since we cannot use shinai in heavy combat.., and since we have neither
rules nor a marshalate for shinai as a separate martial activity.., shinai is not
legal in Ansteorra.

Frankly, there has never been a real manifest desire to do it here.  No one is
squashing it.., it's just that no one really seems to want to do it.

Baron Kazimir Petrovich Pomeshanov
Kingdom Rapier Marshal