Fw: ANST - why not shinai?

Chris and Trish Makowski roecourt at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 24 07:57:50 PDT 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: j'lynn yeates <jyeates at realtime.net>
To: ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG <ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: Monday, August 23, 1999 20:25
Subject: ANST - why not shinai? ... was: armor standards

>being more a "art" form, shinai  tends to flourish in the dojo and not >the
field.  our combat arts are more akin to the use of boken - more >suitable
for  war-kata and full impact armoured competition .. in our >case we
replace the  shatter prone hardwood boken are traditionally >made from with
rattan for safety  and primarily use euro-centric >forms.

::nods:: makes more sense, though by using proper technique, one can keep
from getting hit by  the aforementioned hardwood boken. (I remember the
motivation generated to GET OUT OF THE WAY by having a piece of wood flying
at about 45 MPH at your head or other vital and therefore desired body
part... and that was on Sensei's slow days, geez)

>having a strong eastern bent keep several boken and a couple >shinai racked
with  my full staffs and the shorter jo ...

>'wolf

I am the same way. In our house weapon avaliable depend on the side of the
bed.. on mine it's a nice boken or sword, on my hubs a .22 Visiting
robber/attacker gets his choice of pain. Though I still love the story I was
told of a Houston heavy fighter getting assaulted on his way into his house
from Fighter Practice ::evil grin::

Anya

Anastasiia Iliinovna Kiianin