ANST - armor standards

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Tue Aug 24 10:28:38 PDT 1999

On 24 Aug 99, at 14:48, Russell Husted wrote:

> I know nothing of society rules on shinai armor, but in the mundane world it is
> simular to rapier armor. It is a bit more padded and the mask is a little
> thicker. I have a simple question. Please do not take it wrong. If we use heavy
> rules on shinai, are we doing it right?

if doing shinai away from scadian venues (see previous post on the legalistic
arguements against it ..) do *not* use standard heavy armour ... particularly
helms as the required grilling standards are insuffiecient to keep a shinai out
(they are thinner than the minimum standard rattan and come to a sharper point
where the rattan is blunt).  you will note that the kendo face mask has much
closer set bars than the combat helms we use.  another point, throat thrusts
are common in kendo while we frown upon them so rarely is the throat well
armoured (imnsho), yet another problems solved by using the correct kendo gear.

also, i have yet to find any scadian guantlets that have enough wrist freedom
of movement to successfully wield a oriental style weapon (katana, naginata,
yari ...)

if you're going to train with shinai, drop the $300 on a  decent set of kendo
starter gear and sign up for a local kendo group (most will have loaner gear to
use in the dojo while you are getting started).   you'll learn more, leran
better, and have a wider range of practice partners than within the scadian
rank-n-file.

'wolf

... truth is the sword of us all (lords of the new church)