ANST - 13th warrior stuff

Tue Aug 31 06:54:41 PDT 1999

I believe it was Judith Tarr who wrote an essay on the historical errors in
The Walking Drum.  After reading the book and the essay, I would say The
Walking Drum was fairly historically accurate in general, certainly moreso
than much of the recent historical fiction which has come my way.

One inaccuracy I spotted was the coffee houses in Cordova.  Coffee as a
social drink in al-Islam was about 350 years later.  Considering the
inaccuracies in the coffee article which appeared in TI a few issues ago,
I'll forgive Louis his fictions.

As for Eaters of the Dead, I found it well crafted and interesting.  Writing
in the first person and the style of Ibn Fadlan, gave it verisimilitude.  I
particularly enjoyed the faked notes appendices and bibliography.  The
characters seemed truer to the culture and the times, than The Walking Drum.
I'm glad that Crichton has added the non-fiction essay about the book to the
recent paperback edition, as it helps put things in perspective.

Bear