ANST - Scrolls

Cameron Lewis camlewis at swbell.net
Sun Aug 1 11:14:50 PDT 1999

Tiomoid of Angle grumped something like:

> Since we are alleged to be an educational society (an objective honored
> more in the breach than in the observance, unfortunately), I shall
> merely point out that "fluff and pretty stuff", including but not
> limited to "dots, white work and shading", on documents with respect to
> honors is NOT PERIOD. Anyone who wants to do a Book of Hours or a
> Psalter is encouraged to do so. Anyone attempting to do an official
> diploma respecting an award ought to be aware that all this "scroll"
> embellishment is SCA fantasy fru-fru, and contrary to the stated goals
> of the SCA.

Okay, let me rephrase my last post in saying:

I like the look of a book of hours or a Psalter and would be very proud
to hang something on my wall that looked like it came from a document
such as these.  A piece of photocopied paper with some marker on it
would not make me as proud to use and say an artisan from Ansteorra has
accomplished this.  When People come to my house, that are not in the
SCA, they ask what those papers are for and I explain their meaning and
that they are all hand painted.  They either say "hmmmph" or, "that is a
nice painting",  I would much prefer the latter.

Most of the charters that have been made are researched from either a
book of hours or a psalter and people are requested to paint them as
such.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention,

Sir Alrek