ANST - Scrolls

Dr Tiomoid of Angle tiomoid at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 2 07:03:46 PDT 1999

--- HLOriana at aol.com wrote:

> <<  Anyone attempting to do an official
>  diploma respecting an award ought to be aware that all this "scroll"
>  embellishment is SCA fantasy fru-fru, and contrary to the stated
> goals
>  of the SCA. >>
>     I seem to recall from the Scribes list that you once did a
> substantial amount of research into period documents that would
> better represent our awards.  Can you share this research, or
> perhaps supply a list of books to track down on our own?

Mistress Serena has copies of all the materials I've assembled over the
years, mostly at her insistance, and if I'm not mistaken she's working
closely with Mistress Lassair on a number of charter text projects. A
monograph of mine on the subject was published in the Proceedings of
the Ansteorran Known World Heraldic Symposium, which is available from
Free Trumpet Press West. I'll see if I can find a copy of my original
manuscript, and post the bibliography here.

As a start, look for Hubert Hall's FORMULA BOOK FOR ENGLISH MEDIEVAL
OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS. It was reprinted in 1969; Serena and I both have
copies we can lend you, and I think photocopies are floating around
here and there.

Stay tuned.

Fra Tadhg Liath OFT
Hanaper Herald Extraordinary