ANST - Scrolls

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Mon Aug 2 10:41:19 PDT 1999

HL Oriana Corbizzi wrote:
> In a message dated 8/1/99 8:14:20 AM Central Daylight Time, tiomoid at yahoo.com
> writes:
> <<  Anyone attempting to do an official
>  diploma respecting an award ought to be aware that all this "scroll"
>  embellishment is SCA fantasy fru-fru, and contrary to the stated goals
>  of the SCA. >>

>     I seem to recall from the Scribes list that you once did a substantial
> amount of research into period documents that would better represent our
> awards.  Can you share this research, or perhaps supply a list of books to
> track down on our own?  I haven't had much luck with this and I'm obviously
> looking in the wrong places.

I remember Tadgh's comments on the Rialto on this same subject from a number
of years ago. It was the first time that I realized that most offical
documents of the time period we study were not painted like illuminated
books of hours.

I saved a bunch of his comments in this file in the SCRIBAL ARTS section
of my Florilegium:
calligraphy-msg  (139K)  1/ 5/98    Inks, papers, calligraphic styles.

My appologies that this file is not better organised, but perhaps this
will give you a place to start. I'm sure he has learned some additional
stuff since then and would welcome any additions he has. Meanwhile, there
are some bibliographies and book reviews in this file from others. Perhaps
some of these will be unknown and useful to you.

My Florilegium is on the web at:
http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html

In some ways, it is unfortunate that the SCA electronic media has split
into a multitude of mail lists rather than simply the Rialto. I am
probably missing out on conversations such as Tadgh's that would be
interesting and knowledgeable but outside my direct interests.

Lord Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net