ANST - scrolls

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Tue Aug 3 10:41:05 PDT 1999

We've been talking about how our usual SCA scrolls/charters do not match
period practice.

I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, I like to push toward
more authenticity. On the other hand, the illuminated scrolls and
charters in imitation of Books of Hours are pretty and nice to hang
on the wall.

There is the point that anyone can have a scroll made by comissioning
an illuminator and a calligrapher to do one for them. If the awards
were given out in a period form, such a nicely calligraphed scroll,
you could commission an illuminated page to commemorate this.

Are there any period examples of this being done? For instance, a
monestary being given a block of land as an initial endowment
(the legal paper) and later, maybe generations later, commemorating
this by illuminating the event in a book or in stained glass,
perhaps with the king or baron replaced with a biblical figure
or saint?

Perhaps we should give a painted charter showing the presentation,
or other illuminated scene which could still involve beginning
illuminators but also give a calligraphed (either photocopy or
original) official document. The latter would be the one on which
the offici  al signatures and seals would be placed. I think either
could look impressive hanging on the wall.

Lord Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net