ANST - Re: SC - Charters, a Reflection

Dr Tiomoid of Angle tiomoid at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 12:29:51 PDT 1999

--- Lee Lemons <lalemons at flash.net> wrote:

> Okey dokey, but one slight question - when did a painted charter have
> a scandalous effect in Court?

Every time one is handed out. Each "painted charter" we hand out
enforces the erroneous notion that it's a period practice. We old
cynical folk know that's not so, and we older more cynical folk don't
mistake what happens in the SCA with what happened in period, but there
are a lot of less-well-read, less-cynical people out there who are
being sent, with the apparent blessing of those who ought to know
better, down a road that diverges significantly from where they ought
to be going. If they choose that path for themselves after Informed
Consent, then let them go, but let's not send them off to get the SCA
equivalent of a can of Relative Bearing Grease without it bothering our
consciences just a TEENY bit.

> Ok!  But now I have a question - I know how hard it is to get the
> painters for the charters, how hard will it be to find the
> calligraphers?

Dunno. That will take some investigation, perhaps a trial project or
period. But, worst case, we can do what we're doing now without the
need to round up painters (because they won't need painting). And the
painters can switch their time to doing original artwork rather than
something not far beyond paint-by-number.

> Um, depending on the number of calligraphers we can find.....

Very true. Let's start looking. If we can't find enough, then I'll shut
up (and probably go away). This would be a great excuse to start a
training system for calligraphers, based on the same patriotic impulses
that make the Award Insigia Projects so successful.

Fra Tadhg Liath OFT
The Grumpiest Pelican
SCITIS IMPLETI * NOSCE IGNOTIS