ANST - The Great Scroll Debate

Dr Tiomoid of Angle tiomoid at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 12:54:39 PDT 1999

--- Mistress Rose, cleverly disguised as Jeffery Hartley
<jeffery.hartley at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> I have just recently read the fascinating discussion going on about
> Charters, scroll texts and the desire for more authentic documents in
> our kingdom courts. Did you know that in A.S. XXII this kingdom went
> to paintless Charters? Do you know what happened? The Crown, the
> Landed Nobility and the populous rebelled. They wanted painted
> Charters.

(Gee, that was about the time I got here and started pushing for the
more authentic texts that we use now....) Since nobody is suggesting
getting rid of "painted charters", this objection would appear to be
moot. How did that system compare to what I've suggested? A point by
point comparison would be quite useful.

> While I believe we can continue to move toward more period texts we
> should also consider what the might be best for the kingdom as
> opposed to just deciding to do what we want to do without a bit more
> research on the actual needs of the kingdom.

Since nobody is suggesting that we decide to do what we want without a
bit more research on the actual needs of the kingdom, this objection
would also appear to be moot. My proposal starts with an explicit
review of what I see as the needs of the Kingdom, as well as the needs
of the recipients and the SCA as a whole. Those who haven't read that
proposal are urged to do so -- and those who think it incorrect or
incomplete are urged to give us the benefit of their thoughts on the
subject. We're all here to learn.

> Right now the kingdom needs well painted Charters.

Well, that's certainly one point of view. I happen to disagree. I
suggest that right now the kingdom needs more authenticity, not only in
charters but in every aspect of SCA life, and well-painted Charters
aren't contributing to that. But I could be wrong -- I've been wrong
before. And I'm perfectly happy to listen to well-argued and
well-supported arguments to the contrary.

> Remember also that the current Charters were created in good faith by

> talented people wishing to serve the kingdom. They deserve our
> appreciation and not words of scorn.

Since nobody has expressed any indication of lack of appreciation, much
less "scorn", for either their good faith or their talent, this
objection would appear to be, not only moot, but something of a red
herring. I have seen nothing but praise for the people doing charters
under the present system. I know of no one in this present discussion
who has anything other than the greatest respect for that effort.

I await, as I'm sure others do, further and more constructive
contributions from Mistress Rose, of whose own talent and good faith
there can be no doubt.

Fra Tadhg Liath OFT
The Grumpiest Pelican
SCITIS IMPLETI * NOSCE IGNOTIS