ANST - scrolls

Dr Tiomoid of Angle tiomoid at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 13:01:58 PDT 1999

--- Pat Mullins <padric at astrosfan.net> wrote:

> >So if I got one it would go on the wall there and hope it is a
> >bigger than the aggie ones. ;)
>
> If you did get a charter hand lettered on parchment, it would likely
> (according to previous posts) be rather small, like half the size of
> a regular piece of paper, or at most a full 8 1/2*11 sheet.

In other words, about the size of my MBA diploma. I could live with
that.

Of course, there is nothing to require us to adopt either the size
(which ranged from postcard size to about the size of a hand towel) or
the artistic sensibilities of period charters -- period grants of arms,
for example, were fancy enough to satisfy all but the most ornatophilic
of SCA folk. It all depends on what analogy we draw with our period
models. Right now we use period charters, which I think the most
appropriate analogical model. Other positions are certainly
sustainable.

Fra Tadhg Liath OFT
The Grumpiest Pelican
SCITIS IMPLETI * NOSCE IGNOTIS