ANST - Seals, Wax and Stamps, Oh My!

Dr Tiomoid of Angle tiomoid at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 5 14:10:12 PDT 1999

--- Ace <aslyn at onramp.net> wrote:

> Several P.W.S.T.O.C.A.I.O.I* (*Since we can't call it a scroll now, I
> guess we have to say "Pages With Some Type Of Calligraphy And
> Illumination On It") have had the seal placed on it.

How about "Award Document"?

> But I will tell you this from a designer's standpoint:  I was
> required to leave a 3 x 3 inch square of "dead space" in my text
> for the wax seal (which eventually was changed to house the stamp)
> on it.

Well, ideally the seal would be attached from cords or ribbons laced
through the bottom edge, as was done in period, so it wouldn't be a
problem.

> Every "designing" calligrapher who has heard that has
> cringed, because it makes life very, very difficult to be required
> to calculate a space that large in the parameters you are sometimes
> given (i.e., trying to keep the finished product in increments
> which will not require custom framing - especially if time is of
> the essence [which my project was - surprise, surprise : D ])

Hey, if it was easy, anybody could do it.... :-)

When I was doing Rowan's Duchy scroll, I left such a space for the seal
-- even worked it into the design fairly well ... and then spilled
silver paint in it. And on the next one, too. I think the first botched
job was used as a demo piece for a number of years in the Steppes; I
have no idea what eventually happened to it. Hector's survived intact,
though, and anybody who wants to get some idea of how such a space can
be left for an "en plaquet" seal can ask him to see it (although I
don't know whether or not it ever actually got a seal applied to it).

Fra Tadhg Liath OFT
The Grumpiest Pelican
SCITIS IMPLETI * NOSCE IGNOTIS