ANST - Re: Scrolls & Charters - Thank you

Lee Lemons lalemons at flash.net
Thu Aug 5 14:41:34 PDT 1999

> <big snip>   of Master Tadhg's message
>
> 2. In Court, the Herald would read out the Proclamation, signed by the
> Crown, declaring in simple but flowery terms (similar to what we use
> today) the award. The recipient would receive the appropriate insignia
> the Proclamation, and the Warrant.
>
> * (Meanwhile Sable Scroll has made a report for Zodiacus Herald of the
> Awards granted based on the Warrants issued. This makes Zodiacus happy
> and keeps the Roll of Precedence up to date.)

Sable Scroll doesn't always go to every event - especially if there is more
than 1 event per weekend, obviously.  We must rely on the heralds at this
point.

> * The recipient takes the Proclamation and hangs that until a suitable
> presentation document can be prepared. The recipient gets together with
> Star Signet and they work out the details of the presentation document,
> based on Kingdom standards and individual preferences.
>
> * Star Signet farms out the assignment to a person or persons willing
> to do the presentation document. The recipient might have somebody in
> mind, and the document might (indeed, probably ought to) be a
> cooperative venture involving people who prefer to do calligraphy and
> other people who like to do illumination.

Okay, I'm a little confused at this point - they are given the Proclamation,
and then arrange to have an illuminated document (like what we have to begin
with, sortof) suitable for their time period, award level, etc.?  This seems to
be doubling the work when it has been hard enough to get the original work
level done.

Moreover, the last paragraph, in and of itself, represents the problem we have
right now in trying to get original works done for those requesting a something
original because they were just made a Laurel, Pelican, Knight, Count/ess,
etc.  We have very few people willing to do these originals as it is, now we
want this Kingdom-wide?  <shaking in my sandals>

Compromise:  we try and get preprinted charters, of the semblence we have now,
for all the award areas/ levels/ personas needed (big mucking job therein of
itself) so that at least, following our preprinted style of doing things, we
can then fill in the needed areas and quickly get it to whomever.  At least we
won't have scribes creating completely original work all the time, for the 250
- 400 or so awards given out per a six-month time period.

Or, do the Proclamation, and have the recipient find their own local scribe to
create their illuminated work.

My greatest concern here lies with the few active scribes we really have in the
Kingdom  -- major burnout is and has occurred, and that's just with the system
we have now.  I'm very concerned about what will happen if things proceed as
you have suggested.  I'm not saying any of the ideas suggested by anyone won't
work, or are ill-conceived, just do we honestly have the scribal power to
manage it.

> This is pretty close to what would have happened in period, as I
> understand it. It strikes me as allowing maximum flexibility and
> minimum work for all involved, and ideally would generated some pretty
> snazzy-while-still-authentic documents for the happy recipients.

I agree, but I'm still shaking in my sandals at the logistics of it all, and
the amount of work that will need to be done to see things done in this manner,
and I'm still wondering -- do we really have the number of scribes willing to
do this?

And in period, would 250 - 400 charters / awards / Proclamations have been
given out within a six-month time period?

Curstaidh