ANST - Seals, Wax and Stamps, Oh My!

Ace aslyn at onramp.net
Fri Aug 6 06:35:59 PDT 1999

>How about "Award Document"?

O-kay...

>> But I will tell you this from a designer's standpoint:  I was
>> required to leave a 3 x 3 inch square of "dead space" in my text
>> for the wax seal (which eventually was changed to house the stamp)
>> on it.
>
>Well, ideally the seal would be attached from cords or ribbons laced
>through the bottom edge, as was done in period, so it wouldn't be a
>problem.

Ummm.....yes, I am aware of that practice (even though that was not what I
was allowed to do at the time), but one still must take even _that_ space
into consideration when designing an _Award Document_.  Custom framing is
not always an option (i.e. time and money).

>Hey, if it was easy, anybody could do it.... :-)

: D  That's one of the many reasons why I'm darn proud of Ansteorran
calligraphers and scribes (we few.....we happy few).

>When I was doing Rowan's Duchy scroll, I left such a space for the seal
>-- even worked it into the design fairly well ... and then spilled
>silver paint in it. And on the next one, too. I think the first botched
>job was used as a demo piece for a number of years in the Steppes;

<lol>  "Oh, joy" </lol>

Ihave no idea what eventually happened to it. Hector's survived intact,
>though, and anybody who wants to get some idea of how such a space can
>be left for an "en plaquet" seal can ask him to see it (although I
>don't know whether or not it ever actually got a seal applied to it).

We did not do the seal on my piece because we were concerned that the wax
would touch and\or smear on the frame .  So, we stamped it instead (which
as I remember is of a much smaller diameter than the wax seal

~Aslyn