ANST - Lindenwood Midsummer's Cooks' Thanks

Ronnie ronna at primenet.com
Thu Aug 12 07:46:12 PDT 1999

Usually, we don't let on if little disasters happen at events.  Most often,
to do that would take some of the fun out of things, especially if folks
wouldn't usually notice.  This is a special case, though, because the people
who jumped in to help pull off a turnaround were incredible.  Read on for
why this is twice true.

Master Petruccio, who was in charge of the sideboard for this event, was
called in to work just after we arrived, and three hours before the evening
event was to open. We were just getting into the pre-cook prep (a feast
nightmare).  He was gone more than two hours, and how to prepare his menu
was all in his head.  That's when the kitchen "staff" volunteered to help
the 2 remaining adults: the willing hands of 3 youngsters and 5 young adults
mixed, sliced, sauced, spiced, spread, skewered, and served, start to
finish, almost the entire feast prep and cook.

This was most of the menu that fed almost 200: sausage, breadcrumb and
vegetable -stuffed and -roasted onions, peppers, and mushrooms; garlic
bread, pasta, ham, sauted chicken 'n' veggies, onion-and-cucumber and green
salads, "fairy" eggs (tomato cups, filled with sauce and upended over
hard-boiled eggs with the larger end cut flat), shish-ka-bobs, and other
goodies!

I've just found the "staff list" we keep when people help out with something
we work on.  That, and because we've continued to hear rousing approval of
the meal, we want to recognize and thank the following gentles, who should
have the credit they so well earned: Amber Mobley, Shannara Ellenhill,
Angelica the Pastiontester, M'Lord Derrick Raley, Mary Elizabeth Wickham,
Richard of Durnford (all-around help, taster and potscrubber supreme!), Ld.
Philip White, Ld. Sean O'Nolan, Baron Sir Duncan, Master Taigh, and Mistress
Clare.  Please, if I overlooked anyone, forgive me.

The young chefs who helped cook and serve aged from around 8 to 15.
Naturally, the kids' kitchen activities were carefully supervised by Baron
Sir Duncan (who jumped in and stuck with it throughout) and myself as we
worked.  Though they were encouraged to see what was happening there, none
of the kids used the stove or oven in this first sortie.  They all got Basic
Sharp, and Food Preparation Hygiene, instruction, complete with "why's".
Although there was lots of meat- and veggie-cutting prep to do, no one under
10 was allowed anything sharp.  Other adults who popped in from time to
time, spelled the kids to enjoy the event for a few minutes, and gave those
cooking and supervising some sane help and interaction.

Master Petruccio, with whom we were in telephone contact as each part of the
prep tasks were finished, returned to take up the reins, and found we were
far closer to serving time than any of us had hoped for.

Meanwhile, for lively, noisy enthusiasm, instant pride, opportunities for us
to give lots of "atta"'s, and a chance for them to learn useful and
appreciated skills, it was a hot, humid, happy, energetic place to be.  The
spices and sauces that were sprinkled, spooned and spilled all over the many
kinds of cooked and uncooked meal items by the innovative cheflings (yes,
they helped "create") made the food look like Emeril fantasy presentations.
The food disappeared instantly as each course went out, and the "kitchen
staff" received a standing ovation.

Amazing, the talents and grace of our younger folks!  Ansteorra has much to
be proud of in our future.  Thanks for one of the most exciting, fun and
memorable experiences Petruccio and I have had in the SCA.
Ronnie.