ANST - THE ROLE OF THOSE IN POWER

Brent Hanner behanner at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 16 20:52:03 PDT 1999

Alice Harris wrote:

> Greetings From Alina:
>
> Is it for those in power, kingdom or baronial, to make judgements on the
> people they serve?

They not only serve the people but the laws, traditions and various
on how the SCA should be.

> In references to judgement, I mean to use your power to
> hold individuals back and/or to refuse awards they should have been given?  I
> hear over and over that kingdom and on down to barony positions, it is felt
> those with the power feel the right and just cause be prejudice toward an
> individual just because they don't like or give a hoot about.

First off they may not agree with you that the award should have been
given.
People have differing views on what various awards mean and who should
receive
them.

> I personally
> feel it is the job, besides giving a good show, be fair and impartial when
> dealing with all individuals no matter your opinion of them. Are am I
> imagining a too perfect SCA society? I just hate getting disillusioned with
> those in power after hearing another recent happening. Why must this be
> continued and allowed to happen?

When dealing with people this will always happen.  Even people trying to
be fair and impartial may not be able to be because of their position,
views, what they know or a plenitude of other reasons.  Its going happen
and will continue to probably forever.  It will get better than worse
than
better again or at least appear to from a certain position.  Contrary to
popular belief the SCA is not a perfect society it is just a society and
it has the same problem every society has.  Some people just won't ever
like
certain others and it will affect the way the society works.  Accept it
and
move on and go make some neat period stuff.

Peder

--
"My heart and body then conspired to win the prize which both desired.
I went to her with longing sighs and looked at her with loving eyes.

Service of Ladies by Ulrich von Lichtenstien