ANST - armor standards

Jesus Cavazos toshirokoi at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 24 21:25:15 PDT 1999

>From: "Russell Husted" <husted at hotmail.com>
>To: ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG
>Subject: Re: ANST - armor standards
>Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 14:48:26 GMT
>

>I know nothing of society rules on shinai armor, but in the mundane world
>it
>is simular to rapier armor. It is a bit more padded and the mask is a
>little
>thicker. I have a simple question. Please do not take it wrong. If we use
>heavy rules on shinai, are we doing it right?
>
>Mahee

I had some friends who were trying to get shinai authorized in Ansteorra.
During the experimentation phase all we used for protection was;  a fencing
mask,  heavy padded gloves (street hockey gloves worked great),  and a cup
for the men.  Thrusts of any kind were forbitten (as they are in Kendo).
Even though we wore very little,  we usually only got pinches from the split
bamboo.  We also got the occasional bruise.  As in heavy,  the blows were
gaged so as not to hit too hard.
When the rules were presented to the proper authoritizes,  a gorge and
kidney belt were added to quiet the fears of those who hadn't seen or tried
shinai.

Toshiro Koi

Ansteorra