ANST - Pennsic stories?

Armand Dragonetti dragonetti at generich.com
Thu Aug 26 08:58:41 PDT 1999

> Okay, it's been quiet.
>
> The travelers should be rested up now.
>
> Did ANYTHING interesting happen at Pennsic?
>
> Curiously,
>
> Gunthar
>
> (Duke Kein did casually inform me of 40 or so Ansteorrans
> whomping 200 Midrealmers. Of course that's probably exaggeration.
> Y'all know what a liar he is.)

Ok, I was saving this story for our next local populace meeting, but I can
see that it is too good to remain untold that long. The following is an
excerpt from the Elfsea Historian's report:

-------------------
Time marches on, and so does our grand history. We have often heard boastful
tales of great deeds and unbelievable feats here in Ansteorra as our part of
the country has its fair share of embellished tales. Whenever I hear such
tales I tend to take them with a grain of salt. However, when I personally
witness an awesome sight it cannot be denied. I have seen such a sight
recently at the Pennsic War. Throughout the war, Ansteorra was allied with
the Kingdom of Atlantia who was fighting for the Kingdom of the East. During
the Woods battle, Ansteorra was proudly represented by 21 souls. Including
Centurion Airaklee Wolf, Lord Dermont and myself, all of Elfsea's Arthurian
Company. Joined by ConFed's 20 fighters this 41-man unit was charged with
holding a strip of land known as the Avenue within the woods near the East's
banner. While there was sporadic activity, much of the battle was quiet as
the major forces battled further in the woods. Queen Octavia, along with a
small escort, scouted the areas nearby. It must be noted that Queen Octavia
was a full combatant, not a scout, but survived the entire campaign
unharmed. Her Majesty would periodically return with reports of small units
making their way towards us, each of which was dispatched by our skilled
fighters. One report however brought ominous news. An enemy force of an
estimated 250+ was making its way toward our left flank. We all drew a
breath and prepared. The enemy force emerged from behind a row of trees
about 40 yards away, marching perpendicular to us without immediately seeing
us. They continued to march until almost their entire force was visible by
our group. Suddenly they stopped, having spotted us. At this moment, a
smaller enemy group emerged from the woods immediately in front of us. And I
kid you not. Someone yelled, "ANSTEORRA!!" and the enemy unit actually
backed up into the woods. Meanwhile, the larger unit, still frozen with
indecision, milled around as their leaders mused. Duke Kein immediately saw
an opportunity and led our small unit in a flanking maneuver around an
obstacle, giving us a tactical advantage. The word was given to attack,
Ansteorra charged, and the battle was on. After the dust settled and our
unit regrouped, we had suffered 10 to 12 casualties. The enemy however was
all but obliterated. Those who survived were running off. The roar for
Ansteorra must have been heard at the other end of the woods. I cannot put
into words the adrenalin rush that was felt. The East was eventually
victorious in the Woods battle. Ansteorra's defeat of this large force
certainly helped to insure the safety of the East's banner and may have
played a key role in the East's victory. I am extremely proud to be an
Ansteorran, and am honored to call myself one. So the next time you hear a
tale of how one Ansteorran is worth so many out-of-kingdom fighters, do not
shrug it off so quickly as just so much talk. This encounter proved to me,
that, at least on this day, one Ansteorran was worth five from out of
kingdom.

In your service,
Lord Dragonetti
Elfsea Historian