observations ... RE: ANST - 13th Warrior-Its Just A Movie!

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Mon Aug 30 10:28:56 PDT 1999

On 30 Aug 99, at 6:11, Dr Tiomoid M. of Angle wrote:

> Anything that is posted to the Ansteorra list presumably is about, or
> has an effect on, the SCA. If not, then it doesn't belong here.

OK so you don't like it ... in the words of the GF , "get over it, suck up the
pain, and cope ... the world dosn't revolve around you and what you want"
(don't know which is worse, dating a DI or a personal trainer)

let's see, the SCA is about it's populous first (or there would be now SCA) ...
many of the populus enjoy something that is within reasonable scope of the SCA
or shares some common aspect thread (in thsi case, a *FICTION* based in
historical times / appropriate cultures ....  think, most ofthe SCA is based on
fiction to begin with, but that's another thread) ... the populous discuss that
thing in a elist dedicated to *general* kingdom level topics ... logic
therefore shows that it is appropriate and belongs ....

so a small faction of expects decides that something is not period enough in
their eye's to belong in their personal interpretation of the game ... explain
what power / mandate gives them the right to attempt banish that thing to
protect the purity of their more limited interpretions from what is commonly
accepted by the wider set of particupants ???

since this is a *common*, open, place to discourse, we'll make a deal with ya',
we'll tolerate the period-centric zealot factions if we must, but they in turn
must tolerate those who are not as rabid about the game and are more interested
in balance and enjoymant of what the game offers.

this trend that seeks to limit and narrow what is "correct" is not a healthy
one for teh organization.  if it continues, in the not so distant future, the
SCA will be so factionalized, splintered, narrowed in scope and emotionally and
intellectually confining that it will evolve into a organizations of elites-
only with no room for anyone else.  then it will naturally lose the critical
mass it needs to survive and be unable to attract the new members needs to stay
healthy ... and then it will start the inevitable decline into oblivion.

the SCA is a big place and by design and development there is room for both the
narrow and the wide, but there must be a balance maintained between them.  dig
through to the heart of the matter and this is not about a movie, it's about
TOLERANCE of views and beliefs held by others that you do not agree with ... it
is not about imposing a personal belief system on those other people

from what i've observbed these many years, this game calld the SCA is most
peoples *hobbie* not their chosen mania ... when it becomes the core of your
reality and nothing else matters, it's time to walk away and find some balance
somewhere else before it becomes a clinical issue (sadly have seen that
development way too many times) or burnout takes hold ... so many fine people
lost over the years, so many who took it way too seriously.

'wolf
... time for this barbarian to catch a matinee

... truth is the sword of us all (lords of the new church)