ANST - Documentation (was Brewing competition results...)

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Mon Feb 15 10:52:47 PST 1999

Patrick J. Cuccurello (pat at adtelusa.com) said something that sounded like:
> Keep in mind, this is merely my opinion, your mileage may
> vary, post no bills, this means you, besides--I had a note from her mother,

I wanna see the note as supporting documentation.

> and I don't even own a yak.

We can fix that problem.

> A good portion of that is due to the "balancing act"  that we have to
> maintain between so called "educational pursuits" and the act of practicing
> our Art (whatever that may be).

This certainly is a difficult thing. The brewers tried to work with the
guidelines that the Laurelette put together last summer before the
retreat to make a form that could be used for the so-called Alcoholic
Arts.

We broke down our scoring as follows:

Documentation - 10 Points
Prentation/Display - 10 Points
Complexity/Difficulty - 10 Points
Workmanship/Technical Skill - 20 Points
   true to style 5, odor/clarity 5, taste 10
Authenticity of Entry/Project - 10 Points
Authenticity of Materials - 10 Points
Authenticity of Techniques - 10 Points
Quality of Finished Work/Aesthetics - 20 Points primarily in taste
Overall Impression (Judges discretion) - Comments only

This allows for a 100 point scale that has 40% of it's points in
Workmanship and Quality. This gave a good balance to allow for a
mediocre to good period adaptation to beat out an excellent modern
item.

NOTE: At the brewing competition, there was a excellent clearly modern
      beverage that still scored high (~80) on this scale, but not as high
      as a good period-style beverage (~82). This made for a good
      example that our balance of scoring probably works.

> Unfortunately, sometimes those swings can be wide, and without
> input by the populous and artisans--difficult to correct.

This is part of the problem. Even with questionaires such as the one
that was given out this last weekend, which will be on-line sometime
this week, you can't distinguish between the populous, artisans and
Laurels. In my opinion, the 3 different groups have very different needs
to accomplish.

> Many times,
> I believe people are afraid to approach a judge or Laurel about things,

*laugh* I can't wait til I'm afraid of that. *evil grin*

> As far as being a "Artisan" or a "Scholar", it is my experience that most
> Laurel's expect you to be both.

The particular focus of our A&S events require it. We still make an
attempt at pre-1600s society.

> Granted, emphasis should be
> place on the quality of the work, but some nod must be made to a basic
> understanding of the medieval aspects of the Art and it's creation.

Not only must a not towards the medieval aspects be made, but in my
humble opinion, it must be proven (weak definition of proven).

I do not think it's enough to make the assumption that it is period just
because you feel it is. You can at least find one book or reference that
states it is. Even without this, one can make some basic assumptions
that will sometimes convince judges that you at least know what you're
talking about.

While I understand the need to be an Artist, there are other avenues
open to you for this. A&S displays allow this. Displays in camp or at
your table. Etc.

There are modern avenues as well. For brewing/vintning in particular,
the American Homebrewers Associciation requires no documentation that it
was done in period.

> Personally, I write my documentation thinking that whoever reads it doesn't
> have a bleedin' clue what I'm doing.  This is how they did it in Period,
> this is how I did it, and in those instances where they don't match--yes, I
> realize that it's different but I thought it would be cool to try it this
> way using period materials, or techniques, or they don't make lute strings
> from humpbacked albino sturgeons anymore, nanner nanner nanner  :)

Not to mention other issues such as:

I didn't want to poison everyone, so I substituted ...
I couldn't find anyone to make me a dingle, so I settled for the dongle
  that I found at the store.
etc.

Things like this should be documented so people not only know *why* you
did something, but they might also learn from it and be able to
reproduce it.

When I was walking around at Gulf War A&S this last weekend, the artist
was rarely there when I walked up to a display. It was only the
documentation that helped me to understand what the item was, why it
was, and how it was done. This is even more so the case when visiting
A&S displays/competitions at events that are not focused primarily on
A&S.

Documentation is not always for the judges, but also for those thinking
about new art forms.

> So you are really robbing Peter to pay Paul.  Where do you cut the baby?

This is a good point regarding documentation. The forms the brewers
tried to put together basically gives bonus to those who document well.

Unfortunately it also degrades from the score if they can not document
that they used "authentic" techniques, materials, etc or even the
procedure done for them to guess on it.

> You are all very lucky in this whether you wish to believe it or not.

I don't believe it.

Now what?

*grin*

> I can safely say that the topic has come up to me on every opportunity that
> I've spoken with a Laurel.  I realize that there can be  a specter of "Peer
> Fear" out there, but all the Laurel's I've spoken too really do like
> constructive input from the populous.

I recall several discussions this last weekend regarding this particular
topic.

> After all, in many cases, the populous are the people in the trenches.

The problem here is that many issues don't get communicated well.

> If this is an issue for everyone,
> let us know--the worst that can happen is that we all run away screaming
> while pulling out hair out  :)

And this would be different how?

That's enough from my uneducated mouth.

Ciao,